Wednesday, October 15, 2008

BINKY BE GONE!!



It's gone for good. This past week we've been talking alot about getting rid of the Binky, because BIG girl's don't have Binky's. I even threw in a bribe of getting a new dollie if she threw her binky in the garbage. Yesterday she saw a commercial for this doll by Fisher Price that goes potty and you can wash her hands, brush teeth, give her a drink, etc. Not a cheap doll. She saw that commercial and ran to get her binky and threw it away, then proceded to tell me - "I want that dolly, I throw my binky away, I want a new dollie. I be a big girl now." Why did she have to pick an expensive toy? We instantly ran to Toys R Us in search for the doll (or in hopes of something cheaper) but she stuck to her guns.
She is so proud of herself and apparently realizes that the Binky is gone for good. She didn't cry or ask for it last night or this morning. She constantly claps for herself and tells me she's a big girl now and "no more binky my whole life." (she is quite grown up sounding these days!) Maybe that's the key. Talk up giving the binky to the garbage for a week or so, then let them decide when they are ready - then of course there is the INSTANT gratification part. I don't think that the binky fairy idea (where she sets her binky's out for the binky fairy, only to get a prize the next morning) would have worked for her. She wanted rewarded instantly and well, for us - IT WORKED! Hooray! Now maybe this doll can get her potty trained too!

1 comment:

Camile said...

Lucky! I wish it would have worked as well for us. I think part of our problem is that Aaron took it from her as punishment when she was being really naughty one night. I think that was the first mistake - because she didn't make the decision on her own. Maybe when we try it again we'll try your method of bribery and let her decide to be done with it! I hope it continues to go well.

p.s. Brynley is such a little cutie!