Tuesday, April 15, 2008

BUTTONS!





After seeing this idea on a friends blog I thought I had to give it a try. I found these canisters on ebay - they are actually magnetic spice containers, but the slit in the top is perfect for slipping buttons through! We have our house rules and button redemption sheet right on the fridge so they can be reminded all the time of what is expected and what they can get in return. I also put their daily job sheets on the fridge as well, with button values attached to everything. When they do something that is expected of them they earn a certain number of buttons. If they want to do anything extra (TV, video games, extra play dates, movie nights etc) they get to "pay" for it with buttons. So far Luke wants to spend them as fast as he earns them, but Michael is catching onto the concept of saving up for something bigger! If they do something on their list without even being asked I reward them with an extra button. But, if they break a house rule it's off to time-out and buttons lost (depending on the offense) For example, yesterday Michael slapped Luke because he wanted to sit in a certain spot in the car - so he automatically lost 5. No warnings for stuff like that! But, Luke was very nice with his sister yesterday and played so well with her that he earned some extra buttons. This has been helping to keep them nice more often because they never know when mom will whip out some more buttons! Michael also has been having some attention and focusing issues at school, so we have been sending a progress sheet everyday. If he can do well in school and get all his assignments in and done on time, he will be rewarded at home too. I'm hoping this system is here to stay! So far it's going ok - they are having a hard time not getting to watch TV when they want, and they aren't really that happy about having to "Earn" the time for TV or video games, but I think they will get the hang of it and the behavior will be a lot better and I"ll get more help around the house!

5 comments:

lindsy said...

I love it! I saw that on Bridget's blog too and am trying it out here. we are using lots of pictures since Matt can't read. I'll have to post some pictures when I get them.

Rachel Berry said...

And I gave Bridget the button idea that I found from another blog!! Wow word does get around. Brandy who on eBay did you buy your tins from? I so need to do my button chore stuff. Everyone is just beating me to it.

:)Rachel

Brandy said...

Well, I bought out what the person had - but if you do an ebay search for magnetic spice shaker something should pop up - in a store at least. I bought the cheaper ones, which I don't know if that was a bad idea or not - but there are some there for 18.95/4 plus shipping. I think I found some on the container store's site too.
You just have to make sure you get the "shaker" ones, or they aren't going to have a hole in the lid!

Clover said...

What a great idea with the buttons! I hope you don't mind me lurking around and erm..."borrowing" it!

I linked to you randomly from the Paper Pals blog - which I got to from my friend Angela's mom-e-memoirs blog. I thought I would de-lurk to say congratulations on your husband passing the bar and the upcoming move. I'm in Boise, and my girlfriends are trying to organize a once a month crop. Keep us in mind when you get here!

Natalie said...

Cute idea! I am really glad that you found me! What cute kids you have.