Monday, May 26, 2008

Let Us Remember




My maternal grandmother died suddenly of a massive heart attack right after Steven and I got engaged. I was fortunate enough to have my truck break down just down the street from my grandparents house. I walked down to their house and got to visit a little with them before they helped me get my truck started. Amazingly it started right up. If my truck had not had problems that day I would not have gotten to see my grandma that one last time. I will always remember the great big hug she gave me as she said goodbye after grandpa had gotten my truck started. She always had those GREAT big bear hugs. I only wish she could have lived a little longer to have become a great-grandmother. She would have loved seeing her great-grandchildren. After she passed it was a difficult time for my grandfather. But it was really nice to get to know him a little better before he passed a few years later. It was neat to hear of some of his war stories and to hear of the hero that he was for our country. I hope you all have a chance to visit the cemetary today and pay tribute to loved ones and to those veterans who served our country faithfully.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I appreciate your post. I always say there are two types of people on Memorial Day: those who PLAY and those who use the day to remember. It's nice to know that there are younger people out there paying their respects. I sometimes think I'm the only one!